Monday, April 09, 2007

Stavanger- 25 years later...

The Ferry terminal is very close to the main harbour at Stavanger. I thought it was from memory but had a fear that my memory might have been a false one.

On arrival, it all looked very familiar, with one big exception- the old dockside cranes have all gone. (It took me about twenty minutes to realise though!)

Taking panorama pictures, you overlap the joins and the camera takes care of it. Of course, if you cock up the overlaps, it makes a pigs ear of it as can be seen on the right hand dock!



On the left quay is the red building (or possibly one behind it) that was Skagen, the night club where I first learned of the legendary Amanda. Dickens, the most popular pub, was near the town end but is obscured by ships in the photos so not singled out.


One of the two red buildings on the right Quay was Crossed Fish, the Mobil building. I actually worked in a slightly smaller one behind it, although initially, I was in a former shop near Skagen and latterly in an office up the hill from Crossed Fish.



This is the Rosenberg shipyard opposite the harbour, where the Statfjord platforms were built. I wonder if the circular concrete structure is left over from the four legs used to support the B & C platforms?


Whilst (mini-)cruising, here are David & Karen posing for the camera...



The ship had a screen showing the Sat Nav...


Three shots of Haugesund. A little disappointing from the dock, although there are some cracking pictures HERE.


5 comments:

James Higham said...

I can understand Stavanger being the European City of Culture but Liverpool?

Shades said...

These things are aspirations, not actuals.

I'm rather fond of Scouseland, although I'd rather not drive there...;->

Jeremy Jacobs said...

Stavanger. Brings back my Geography 'O' level days.

Jeremy Jacobs said...

Liverpool and culture in the same sentence. Duh!

Shades said...

JJ, did you have a wall chart of Norwegian Leather Industry exports like Adrian Mole? ;->

Even Chavs have culture, albeit a scabby one. The phrase uncultured is just aloof snobbery really. (Apart from people from the South coast of course, they rally are common!)