Saturday, April 07, 2007

A ride down Fløibanen

Fløibanen, the Mount Fløyen cable railway, is probably the longest funicular I have been on. It was reminiscent of the Great Orme Tramway in its technology but not appearance, as it looks very sleek and streamlined. It is also much more rugged and steeper!

I filmed some of the seven minute journey (downwards)and have YouTubed it below.

Part one- leaving the upper station


Part two- approaching the crossover track at mid-point


Part three- arriving back at the lower station

2 comments:

James Higham said...

I imagine that would be lovely if Youtube could be accessed but as it can't, I'll just have to take your word for it.

I was on a pretty steep one rising from Lake Leman in Switzerland so I can imagine how scenic it was.

Shades said...

Videos tend to sit on Youtube festering for a while before they work properly. I can see them OK at 3:30pm.

I've been on some breathtaking cable cars in Switzerland, although the only one I can immediately remember is the one that goes up to "Piz Gloria" (which has a revolving restaurant featured in the Bond film On her Majesty's Secret service) with striking views of the Jungfrau and the Matterhorn (on the horizon).