Saturday, March 31, 2007

Green fingers...

...or rather, green stains, chlorophyll hands from the first grass cut of the season. The front is looking OK, the back a little shaggy. It was a dry day, sometimes sunny but a bit chilly with a cold wind.

For the first time I cut the grass with my noise cancelling headphones on & hooked up to my dinky MP3 player. It relieved the monotony no end and I listened to various music tracks and an interesting talk by Brian Micklethwait.

There is a downside to the Bose wonder phones though- you cannot hear the lawn mower! I worked out that I could feel when it was running (& jammed up) from the vibration up the handles.

Another downside is that spouses can sneak up behind you and give you a shock by tapping you on the shoulder...

3 comments:

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

So glad there are SOME disadvantages to all this up-to-the-minute technology that I do not understand! I hate gardening and am glad to have just a balcony now!

Shades said...

I don't hate gardening, I just dislike the unfeasible amount of effort required to keep it looking decent, or even half decent.

I had a rather splendid low maintenance garden in my second house, shrubs, paving & Clematis.

Some minor weeding and a hedge trimmer were all I needed then.

Colin Campbell said...

I have delegated all lawn mowing to a man who comes once a fortnight. I still like to potter around, but having the lawn mowed is a relief.