Saturday, May 19, 2007

Quick, call the style police...

I have an uncle who lives in Canada, now the only surviving Grey on my Father's side. He is perpetually known as uncle Allen, even though he is 78.

I've been to Canada a few times on business, two of them for extended periods. I was based in a small town in Ontario called Belleville, whilst he lives in Mississauga, a suburb of Toronto. Being 125 miles, it is regarded as a short distance in North America.

Last time I visited his apartment, I took a(n anti-) shine to a really hideous piece of furniture, something to rival the Coronation Street duckworth's Bar in its kitsch naffness. It features an electric fire on a hearth and the surrounding mantlepiece is actually a Radiogram. I think the Canucks call this the "Colonial" style.

Anyway, I came across the photo recently and felt a bizarre urge to share it with the Interweb.

The clock, however, I like, for sentimental reasons. That was my Granddad's and I used to have one myself that I bought in an antique shop in Maidenhead. It chimes the hour and possibly the quarters as well.

4 comments:

Shani said...

What a monument to style.... thank you for sharing !!

Shades said...

MiM, I can pass your details on to him if you'd like to make an offer...

It would have to go sea freight though from Canada to Bristol so might be costly.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

This could end up in the V&A, you know! I like the clock, too!
I couldn't find the comments thing for the pig racing but it looked a lot of fun and they are cute. What was in the pie?

Shades said...

Welshcakes, comments back on for the pigs. (If I save as draft it seems to turn them off without me noticing).

Steak & spud pie. Pork would have been a bit too ironic!