Friday, May 18, 2007

First records...

Graham at work tells us that this was his first record. (Although his was the Mamas & Papas version).



We had a lad at school called Geoff , or more frequently, Paddy (Patterson). He started knocking around with two lads called Peter & Paul so inevitably- he was nicknamed Mary...

My first record was Jake the Peg, backed with Sun Arise, by Rolf Harris. I swapped it for my Space Hopper on Radio Newcastle Swap shop when I was about 11 or 12.



I'll tag all of the BlogPowersphere to pick up their first record meme.

(Spacehopper image from Museum of Childhood)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

First record ever bought for me: "Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep"c/o "Co-Co" - akids record bought for my birthday - it had a picture you could crayon in on the back!

First one I requested from my mum "wild west hero" by the ELO

First one I bought with own money from paper round "stand & deliver" adam ant.

Still got 'em and sounding great :)

Shades said...

he first one I almost bought- Morecambe & Wise, following me around, or some such. I listened to it in the booth at Jeavons in Nc/le & decided I'd get bored with it quickly.

I bought Chirpy chirpy Cheep Cheep by Middle of the Road, also Honey Come Back by Glen Campbell, but I can't remember in what order.

James Higham said...

Telstar, by the Tornadoes. Bet no one else has that one.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I do. On glorious scratchy Decca 7".

Only bought it in January though - cost 35p!

Superb record- good ole Joe Meek

Colin Campbell said...

I think it was Rockin' Robin by some fairly well known formerly black American Artist and his brothers. I also bought some awful stuff around that time, including the Mormon equivalent to our black brothers.

Guthrum said...

Layla on a 45rpm single- still got it !

Shades said...

I also remember being reluctant to return "Moonshadow" by Cat Stevens that I borrowed from a friend.

Keep 'em coming folks!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Oh, god, a sign of age... "Rock-a-billie" by, I think, Guy Mitchell! [78 rpm]. I've still got all my 45rpms btw.

Shades said...

Welshcakes, I've still got all my 45s as well. I had some 78s knocking about that I picked up off others. I don't know when they stopped being sold, I imagine it was the mid sixties but apparently they kept going for another ten years in India.