Thursday, June 09, 2005

The postman always rings twice...

The title relates to the well known film, although our postie generally only rings or knocks once if needed, not expecting anyone in. It remainds me of the comedy routine where the comedian is describing the childhood game knocky-nine-doors where you ring the doorbel then run away and hide. It is still popular today, only now it is known as ParcelForce...

Today, I spent a few hours working at home with my laptop. As I was expecting a parcel and Postie hadn't been yet, I put a note on the door saying "Postman please ring bell" as sometimes I don't hear door knocks.

I assumed Postie would ignore it if he didn't have anything but anyway, eventually I heard the flap go and the characteristic sound of envelopes hitting the mat. After a few seconds of hesitation, the bell did indeed ring so I greeted him and he was looking rather sheepish as there was a "sorry you were out" card already on the mat. I had discoverd their dark little secret... if they don't expect the addressee to be in, they often don't actually bring the parcel!

He did advise me that it was ready for collection however, I didn't have to wait 24 hours as written on the card. The sorting office man confirmed their pragmatic approach- if known people are rarely at home & the parcels are heavy, they will sometimes take the call & just drop the card.

I actually applaud their pragmatism, as they are using discretion based on local knowledge and if I am in, it isn't a big deal to nip up the road, provided they are open. But, there's the rub- they aren't actually open at useful times to suit the customer, which in my case would be after I finish work rather than waiting until the following morning which is a diversion on the way to work. 7am-12 noon (10am on Fridays) may suit them but not me. There again, they are still to all intents and purposes a nationalised industry & monopolies never take their customers too seriously anyway...

No comments: