Thursday, July 22, 2004

The big day arrives

Today is polling day. the polling stations are open from 8am to 9pm with the count to be held immediately afterwards in Morley Town Hall. I have visited both polling stations & talked to the officials, introducing myself and asking general questions about procedures. The Bridge Street one said they had 900 ballot papers and the Fountain Street one 1400 which means that in the unlikely event of a turnout higher than 50% or so they may have a slight problem!

The BNP have a Polling Agent at each Polling Station, who also appear to be acting as tellers as they are hanging around near the entrance with clipboards. (I assume they are both Polling Agents as one introduced herself to the Officer with the appropriate letter, so the other one probably is.)

Apart from a smattering of Labour signs at the houses of people whose names I recognise as activists, there seems to be negligible interest. I have had a few emails and phone calls wishing me success but only time will tell. One chap did collar me and complain about not being able to vote as he lived on the wrong side of Fountain Street & he didn't quite understand what the point of being an independent was (he initially assumed I was the BNP candidate). it does strike me as slightly silly that parish ward boundaries pass down the centre of streets, it would make more sense if the boundary was through the garden, so to speak.

I need to go to a meeting at work, more news later in the day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have some great ideas :) Nevermind. Next time.